Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend Project

After Jeremy moved out, we cleaned up the bathroom. New paint, new shower curtain, new rugs. It looks really nice, but I wanted to do something with the mirror. The original plan was to frame the mirror, but as TOM never got around to doing it and I know nothing about saws and wood-working, I opted for mosaic tiles. The project ended costing more than anticipated, it always does, and we had a few challenges.

The first shot is what we started with. Pretty bland/generic.

After the first row or so, we determined that if we put the glue on the tiles and let them sit for about 10 minutes, they adhered to the mirror better. We also discovered the strong odor of the glue in a room with limited air circulation. Not enough to make us pass out though. At this point (below) we decided to take a break to let the glue set and to watch a movie, "Love and Other Drugs".  

About two hours later we resume and get the final row of tiles installed. Let it sit overnight for the glue to really grab and grout today. It got pretty messy for a while there, but I think it turned out pretty well. I like the glass tiles that we purchased and they work well with the wall color. They are neutral enough that if we paint again at some point in the future, we don't have to tear out the tiles.