Thursday, April 24, 2008

Planning for Departure

Getting closer to our travel date. I have a tendency to start planning early and TOM just rolls his eyes. I purchased a new cosmetic/travel case today. I plan to build the ultimate travel/first aid kit. As TOM and are not as young as we used to be is it conceivable that one of us (probably me) will get hurt while participating in one activity or another. When we were in Belize 2 years ago I fell in a cave...not a pleasant experience and injured my knee. Anyway, this year I am going to be prepared with the basics. I found this kit list in Conde Nast Traveler: Compartment 1 Personal medication (bring 50% extra) Cold and allergy medication Throat lozenges Nasal decongestant spray Cold and flu medication Tums Pain reliever Hand sanitizer Compartment 2 Eye bandage Antibiotic eye drops and ear drops Sterile eyewash Cotton swabs Earplugs Disposable thermometer Scissors Small flashlight Surgical gloves Lip balm Compartment 3 Band aids Small nonstick dressing Surgical tape, not surgical tape, white electrical tape. Good thing we didn't need it ;-) Burn gel Burn dressings Antiseptic swabs Spray on dressing Ace bandage Steri-strips Sutures Needle holders Syringes Surgical blade Anesthetic Triangle bandage Compartment 4 Insect repellent Insect bite treatment Hydrocortisone cream Water purification tablets Sunblock Oral rehydration packets Dextrose tablets Motion sickness tablets Post Trip Note: No injuries on the trip (I had been in training for quite a while in preparation) However, TOM did get sick so that put a damper on several activities. Highlighted items were those that we actually had in the kit.

No comments: