Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Birthday, Sean

My son Sean turned 31 today. It seems like only yesterday that he was just a baby. My husband was in Korea when Sean was born. I was staying with my parents. I woke up in the middle of the night with excrutiating back pain. Never had a pain like that before. Anyway, after a couple hours I got up to go to the john. Try anything to relieve the pain, right? As soon as I stood up, my water broke. Now this is my first child and I really was clueless. (It took me three months to figure out that I was pregnant.) I went to get my parents for the ride to the hospital. This is a snippet of our conversation:
Me: (Knocking on bedroom door.) Mom, I think it's time to go to the hospital.
Mom: How do you know.
Me: My water just broke.
Mom: You didn't get any on my new carpet did you?
Me: No. (Dad just rolls over.)
(I am not really sure about my response or if I got amniotic fluid on her carpet.)
FYI, she had that carpet until last year.
Because my husband was away, I had my mother go into the delivery room with me. She never gave any clue as to how she felt about that, but I bet it
was the last thing she thought she would do that day.
My son finally made his appearance at 12:57 pm.
Let the adventure begin.

No comments: