Friday, October 01, 2010

 
*****
A few months ago I injured my knee (during boot camp, running stairs) add in a bit of arthritis and you have pain. After a couple of visits to the doc and ultra sound therapy my knee was still swollen and inflamed. I finally got my referral to the orthopedic doc and for an MRI. 
*****
Now this drawing is not of my knee, but of my ankle. When I went to get the MRI for my knee, I stumbled on the last step on my way out of the clinic and turned my ankle. (There was a blackberry involved, but I did not tell my husband that.) Yup. It hurt so bad I almost yakked up my b'fast and passed out. Pretty pathetic.
*****
Well, when I went to the ortho, I asked if they could look at the ankle too as the injuries are related. Well, they are. The red arrows point to the tendons that I stretched/tore when I turned the ankle. The blue arrow points to some bone chips; however these could be from a previous injury (I fall down a lot). The red lines at the top are the syringe that he is going to jab into my knee in about 2 minutes.
*****
I walked out of there with a soft splint that would probably pay for a year's tuition at a community college, a cortisone shot in my knee that better reduce the swelling, some fancy x-rays, and a line drawing by my doc. And I only had to spend 3 hours at the drs office.
*****

2 comments:

becky said...

Hi, just popped over from Randy's blog @ Santa Fe Daily Photo.
Sorry to hear you tweaked both your knee & ankle. Perhaps your doc could sign his drawing- pretty good likeness of the calcaneus, talus & tib/fib. You could frame it as art & then you wouldn't feel so bad about the high price of the visits, LOL. You've got an interesting blog... like your life list... I've got one on paper- it's a good idea :)

Lowell said...

Good grief. All because of a Blackberry. I've heard those phones are dangerous! ;-)

Seriously, I'm finding that as I've gotten older, I've become a lot more fragile!

At least you got a good diagnosis and some treatment and hopefully will be as good as new in the near future.

I hate it when I go to the doc for a problem and he checks me out and then says:

"Maybe you ought to switch to Alpo"!

Do you think I need a second opinion?