Friday, September 23, 2011

Vermont Pumpkin Patch

*****
This my my interpretation of a photograph that I took at the pumpkin patch behind the Vermont Country Store on vacation a few years ago. I actually drew the painting a few weeks ago, but was afraid to apply paint to paper. I was not comfortable with mixing colors so I decided to wait until I started my class. 
*****
I like certain aspects of this better than others. I like the background and I like my vague attempt at creating some shadows. I have had a problem with not knowing when to stop in the past so I was very conscious about keeping it light. I like the little shed and I like the yellow that I added in front of the shack that helps to outline the contour of the land. 
*****
I am not crazy about the pumpkin patch and I really don't like the green. I used green straight from a tube. If I had mixed it using my palette, I probably would have been happier with it. It looks best if you squint : )
*****
All in all, not bad for my very first watercolor painting. The exercises that we are doing in my painting class, creating a color wheel and a complimentary color chart were fun too. Creating these are good practice for color mixing.
*****

1 comment:

Lowell said...

It is so great to see your artistic abilities "flower"! And I love the way you critiqued the painting. Furthermore, you had me squinting with one eye and then the other! :-)