Friday, December 10, 2010

Broken Cannon

 
*****
I call this broken cannon because I had some trouble with the barrel of the cannon; it is bent. I did sketch this out before I painted it and was having trouble with the sketch. I could not 'see' what was happening until I painted it. This painting is a composite of two photos that I took; one of the cannon and head stones in the Conferderate section of Linwood Cemetery and some wisteria blooms.
***** 
Things I need to work on: Scale of the wisteria. These should have been larger. The cannon, not sure if the problem is DOF or vanishing point. Can you have DOF in a painting? Does vanishing point apply here?
***** 
Things I like about this painting: the headstones, specifically the large one that represents General Benning. The rocks in the foreground and the grass. Both add visual interest.
*****
So it's back to the drawing board.  
*****
Water color on paper
*****

1 comment:

Lowell said...

This is fascinating. I wish I could tell you about the barrel of the cannon...'tis indeed bent a bit but I know from nothing about vanishing points...

I like that you took elements from your photos to paint...makes your work much more personal...

Have a wonderful weekend and keep that brush moving!