Saturday, October 05, 2013

Mobile

*****
This weekend I made a mobile/wind chime with the beads from an old necklace, sand dollars that my brother in law collected when we were all at St George Island for my son's wedding, and a piece of driftwood. To string it all together I used a natural fiber 'string'. I laid out the design and got started. 
*****
*****
Instead of having all of the largest sand dollars at the top I changed up the order with 2 strands going from smallest to largest adding beads between each of the shells. I originally planned for a strand of 6, but the smallest sand dollars were too fragile. 
*****
*****
To weight the strands I added some sea shells to the bottom and they make a nice little tinkle when the air moves. I braided thread to make the hanging portion and tied it on and adding some beads. I also added a bead of hot glue to each strand of string on the drift wood to keep them in place. Because the sand dollars are so fragile, this one will be hanging in my studio space. 


No comments: