Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Feeling a Bit Nostalgic Today

I grew up in this house, at least the years between 10 and 18. I finished grade school here, made it thru junior high, and then high school. I left this house a month after graduation when I married tOM who was in the Army at the time. I have never looked back. On occasion, I wish I still lived closer to my family, but it just never worked out. TOM was career army and we traveled from base to base. So what do I remember most about living in this house? My dad doing sweat equity on the foundation and all the block work by himself. My mom falling down the stairs and breaking her leg. Sneaking out my bedroom window on warm summer nights. The day I hit a road sign on my way to school and smashed the windshield on my car. My dad never yelled, just asked if I was OK. A fight with my brother on Easter weekend. He threw a shoe at me and missed, but he hit the aquarium. Living within walking distance of the beach. Swimming all day, every day all summer long. A summer tan before skin cancer. Kegs parties. Riding snowmobiles in winter. Snow days.

What do you remember about the house you grew up in?

2 comments:

Janet said...

Quite a box of memories! I grew up in a Victorian that had high ceilings and a hall down the middle. We spent summers on the wraparound screened porch, because for a long time, we had no ac. It was in the middle of town on courthouse square, so there were sidewalks to walk, skate and bike everywhere. Our backyard was dirt, because we played in it all the time building roads for our model cars and even digging ponds for our toy boats. Now, I look back and wonder who else would have parents who would allow them to dig up the backyard? No wonder all the kids played at our house!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

RR: Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it : )