Saturday, April 25, 2009

Remembering Millie

I just got back from a trip to visit my family in Minnesota. While I was there I made a stop by Millie's store, which is a couple of blocks from my parents house. This little store has been in this location for at least 40 years. This area was mostly a weekend summer place because of the nearby beach. (The beach is behind the store.) The sign says Ted's Store, but it was really Millie's. I first 'shopped' at this store when I was about 11 years old.

Millie recently passed on and there was a big memorial service right here at the store. About 400 people, who over the years stopped for 'pop', candy, and a quick gallon of milk came by. Back in the day, she even had a couple of gas pumps. Millie was a nice lady and she never forgot a face.

I moved away from the area years ago and had not stopped by in a long time. She was part of my childhood and a fond memory now. These tokens and notes prove that she was still loved by children and adults alike and that she will be missed.

No comments: