Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Honolulu Weekly Snooper City Guides

*****
In 1958, my father was stationed in Hawaii at Schofield Barracks. He and my mother lived there for a a year or so and I was born there in December. Recently, while going thru a box of items my mom gave to me, I found this interesting little advertisement booklet. Advertisers include restaurants, tours, rental car companies, and retail shopping. As far as I can tell, the guides were published in the 50's, 60's and 70's and are for sale on E-bay.
***** 
On the back page of this guide was an adversisement for Matson; serving Hawaii since 1882. As far as I can tell, Matson does not transport people anymore and if they did, they would most certainly charge more than $145. They appear to be in the [large container] shipping business these days.
*****
Additionally, a long distance phone call from Honolulu (capacity 1) to the mainland would cost roughly $75 for three minutes. I guess that is why you had to schedule calls.

No comments: