Friday, September 08, 2006

Whale Watch Five years ago, I had an opportunity to take a whale watching cruise in Alaska. We were looking for a pod of humpback whales and before too long the the call went out, "there she blows". There were more cameras than people on the boat that day; still and video, digital and 35mm. And we were all trying to get the perfect fluke shot. As I think back on it now, I should have just spent the time watching the whales. You have to stay at least 50 feet away from them. We did get to watch the whales fish. They dive down and release bubbles that trap their prey in a "bubble net". Then they swim toward the surface and eat dinner. Pretty cool. It really is amazing. As we cruised thru the Inside Passage, I kept my eyes open for orca sightings. Didn't have any luck. I did have an opportunity to see orcas (I hate to admit) at Sea World a few years earlier. They are so intelligent and beautiful, they brought tears to my eyes. It would have been great to see them in their natural habitat. Which leads me to the reason for this post today. I was read an article in the NY Times about a group that is trying to preserve the habitat of three pods of resident orcas in Puget Sound. Resident orcas stay in one area and live in extended family groups. If you have time, give it a read. I added a link to the article. You may have to register for the Times to read it but it's free. Namaste...

No comments: