Saturday, January 17, 2009

Treasure Hunting in Alabama

As you know, my last few posts have been about roadside markers. I went out to add some more shots to the collection and wound up on a journey of exploration. Today I spent about three hours and 60 miles discovering the area in which I live. That's not to say that I have not driven these roads before, I have. I have even taken pictures of some of these places before. The difference today was that I was not in a hurry. I had the luxury of time. In my search for roadside markers, I have to drive slower. I have to pay attention. And in the process, I see things I've missed before. Horses in a field. The old grist mill and mill pond. A tattered hat with sequins glittering along the roadside. Old barns. Lone chimneys standing in the middle of an open field. My humanity. And so today, I give some of these to you. Note: Some guy in a huge white diesel pickup truck stopped to see what I was up to here. I don't know if believed me or not when I told him I was just taking pictures of the horses : ) As well as a few things I would rather not see on my journeys of exploration.

No comments: