Friday, January 30, 2009

River Road Grocery

Today I took a drive in search of anything interesting to take snaps of. I was looking for roadside memorials (I found a couple), but today they were not the priority. I crossed the river into Georgia and this is what I found. River Road Grocery was built in 1937 by the grandfather of the current owner's (Cecil Saxon) wife. I found it interesting it has stayed in the family for 71 years. The structure is now a second hand store. Unfortunately, the vintage signage and the gasoline pumps were stolen a few years ago. I guess someone finally realized these items were marketable. I love the red door. And the little blue bird house. I should have bought that. The posts supporting the roof are cedar and are original to the building. According to Mr. Cecil, the River Road BBQ Shack was once moonshine central. He did not indicate whether his wife's family ran that business as well:-> Vintage signage was also stolen from this building. However, the hand-painted Nehi sign on the side of the shack is elegantly weathered. The River Road Grocery is located on River Road (219N), Harris County, Georgia.

No comments: